Monday, September 18, 2006

Go it Alone



LOCATION: Hotel Versilia Torino, Torino

I'm sitting on my room's balconette at the Hotel Versilia Torino, enjoying an ultra-lite European cigarette and looking out onto a deserted street. My windows overlook a beautiful church whose style I can't really describe (because I don't know it!). The doors and windows of my pseudo-balcony are large French ones and their structure is somewhat falling apart, with chipped paint in the corners and panels. Back home something like this is considered old and run down, yet here, it's 'charming.'

I got into Torino today but have yet to venture out. I've somehow managed to book myself a hotel in the red-light district, as there is a sex-shop on my corner and questionable interactions between scantily-dressed women and men in cars. Before arriving, I spent the afternoon sight-seeing in Milan with Patrick and Warren. I have now left them behind (or did they leave me?!!?!?) and will finish the rest of the tour with whomever else I meet and Jess, who has spontaneously added Prague and Berlin to her trip. The girl's going to reach show '100' in Europe and I'll be there to experience it with her.

Although it's great to be alone with my thoughts for an evening, I miss the guys. I left Warren (who'd still be in Bern had we not traveled together) in great hands, as Patrick is almost as good a map reader as I am (ahhh, trick ;) I've already met Ignasi, who has my 10c ticket and is staying at the same hotel. He is from Barcelona but lives in Buenos Aires and has been following the band since Lisbon two weeks ago. I've made every precaution to make sure the Milan episode does not happen again and I'll be at tomorrow night's venue with time to spare. So....let's see what this town's got to give!

No comments: