Tuesday, September 12, 2006

"Up here so high I start to shake"



September 12, 2006
LOCATION: "The Sky I Scrape", En route from New York to Zurich, Switzerland on board Swiss Air

I picked the wrong time to start on this entry, as they've just asked us to fasten our seat belts because we'll be hitting 'a little bit' of turbulence and it could get bumpy. Since I'm scared of flying, people are often surprised I love to travel and do it so much. It never fails-every time I book a trip I start to dread the flight the second I hit 'accept' on my order. Each time I step foot on a plane, its as if I'm doing it for the first time. But, I always figure its worth enduring a couple of anxiety-ridden hours for the chance to explore other countries (and see Pearl Jam overseas). My seat tonight is awful. I really hate having other passengers on either side of me, not only because I can't lay out or get comfortable, but also because before I take-off, I engage in a number of rituals that involve meditation, stretching, prayer and a systematic arranging and re-arranging of my carry-on. I sound like the ideal travel partner, don't I?!? Additionally, these seats are packed tight and I'm convinced the guy next to me is reading this as I type it. DUDE, if you're reading this, PLEASE STOP!!

Today was quite eventful, even before leaving the States. In the morning while on my way to work, I saw my bus and thought it was about to leave. I started running in my flip flops so I wouldn't miss it. Next thing I know, my foot steps in a hole in the ground and I began stumbling for what felt like eternity. While my body was desperately trying to regain its balance, my mind was racing, "Oh my God, Europe. PLEASE don't break anything, please don't break anything." I'm thinking this as I'm coming face-to-face with the concrete and sure enough, SPLAT! I fell onto my hands, stomach and knees and was sprawled out in the middle of E. 72nd St. I lay face down for a few seconds because I could barely move, when this man came over and asked if he could help. Not wanting to get hit by an oncoming car (THAT would have really ruined my trip), I forced myself up and over to the corner. I realized there were at least a dozen people around me when I fell and more when I got up. I never wanted to admit this about my beloved NYC, but the people can be pretty cold and heartless, man. Only one person came over to help me and even after he did, he wanted to tell me about the time he fell. Once I got to the bus, which wasn't, in fact, leaving for another 5 minutes, I told the driver what happened and he told me to clean myself up while he waited for me. When I got on, he didn't charge me for the ride. He must've been from another borough.

In addition to that, my iPod died right in time for a 7 hour flight and countless more hours on trains and buses. I was really looking forward to getting pysched for the shows by listening to a few boots, but I guess I'll have to settle for the real deal come the evenings ;) So, I'm bruised, battered and swollen, I have no iPod and my backpack weighs more than I do. Not the ideal start to a journey, but we'll see where the day takes me.

No comments: